Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Jackson - not so shabby, despite popular belief

Last week, I had the privilege of visiting a Pilates studio in Jackson to research an article I am writing.

I was rushed that morning, trying to get ready with a kid hanging on each leg while attempting to meticulously apply mascara. I hurried out the door and opened the garage to a torrential downpour. I made my way to the studio frantically gathering my notebook, cell phone, and recorder, all scattered across the front seat of my car. I checked the mirror, assuring myself that I looked like a serious, put-together journalist, and ran inside through the rain.

I walked through the doors and whoa! It was like walking into a different world full of aromatherapy, dim lights, and soothing music. I decided I would stay there indefinitely. This was my kind of place - a place I could actually nap. The owner of the studio approached me ever so calmly, carrying a sprig of rosemary and raving about how great it smelled.

This was a state-of-the-art studio, complete with every Pilates device you could imagine, instructors with "at least a master's degree," and a really impressive atmosphere.

This got me thinking... Jackson gets such a bad rap. Everybody complains about it and how every place is so much better, we have nothing to be proud of, blah, blah, blah. But the people that invest in Jackson really invest in Jackson and are extremely proud of it. Now, don't get me wrong, there are many things we could improve on. I'm still in desperate need of an IKEA and there are places in Jackson where I feel inclined to lock my car doors, but tell me a city where it's not like that.

I'm proud of Jackson. We have lots of hidden treasures. We should all stop complaining and use our energy discovering these amazing little places, like the Pilates Place of MS, throughout the city and support them.

No comments: